Facebook: FTC Sponsored Content Disclosures - Do's & Don'ts
Facebook: Disclosure Do's & Don'ts
- For all social media disclosures, include clear and unambiguous language, using the words or hashtag “sponsored,” “ad,” or “paid” in addition to tagging the sponsoring brand.
- For in-feed posts, place disclosures in the first three lines of the description above the “see more” button.
- For Facebook Stories, #ad, #sponsored or #paid followed by the brand needs to be superimposed on the first photo in the series. Sequential Stories only require disclosure at the beginning of a series.
- For videos in feed, disclosures must be superimposed and verbally disclosed within the first 30 seconds. Superimposed disclosures must stay on-screen for a minimum of ten seconds.
- When using the built-in Branded Collabs Manager, manual disclosures are still required.
- Use ambiguous language like #sp, #collab, #partner, any branded hashtags or simply “thank” the company for the product/service/compensation.
- Hide the written disclosure at the bottom of the description.
- Simply tag the brand without mentioning the nature of the partnership.
- Rely on built-in, Branded Content tools only.