YouTube: Disclosure Do's & Don'ts
- Include disclosures in three key areas: written in description, superimposed over video, and verbally in video.
- Include clear and unambiguous language, using the words or hashtag “sponsored,” “ad,” or “paid” in addition to tagging the sponsoring brand.
- Include verbal and superimposed disclosures within the first 15-30 seconds of a video.
- Superimposed disclosures should remain on screen for at least ten seconds.
- Written disclosures should be included within the first two lines (125 characters) of the video description above the “show more” box.
- When using the built-in paid promotions tool, manual disclosures are still required.
- Use ambiguous language like #spon, #partner, or “Thanks to…”
- Hide the written disclosure at the bottom of the description.
- Make written disclosures too brief or hide them in the same color as the background.
- Fail to include written and / or verbal disclosure in the video itself.
- Rely on built-in, paid promotion tools only.